Monday, May 21, 2012

The Dutch Family Restaurant: A Local Must-Try

This Amish Restaurant offers a variety of home-style delectables that are fresh and tasty.
The Dutch Family Restaurant sits right in the center of The Lancaster County Dutch Market has been attracting market-goers and foodies almost 13 years. The restaurant has been owned and operated by Ruthie Stoltzfus for the past five years. I decided to head over and see what The Dutch Family Restaurant is all about.

When I arrived, I was greeted by Annie Lapp, who has been working at the restaurant for almost two years. She told me that while breakfast is the most popular thing people stop in for, her favorite is the Chicken Salad Melt. I later discovered it to be a definite must-have.

Ruthie’s Sister, Lin Biler, has been working at the restaurant for four years. Biler said her favorite are the biscuits with sausage gravy from the breakfast menu. With the popularity of the breakfast menu, The Dutch Family Restaurant has taken the liberty of serving it all day Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Jean-Claude Marshall has been coming to the market for three years. He said his favorite thing to order is definitely the Hamburgers.

“They are well done and moist. The meat tastes very good; much tastier than you might get at Whole Foods,” Marshall said. All the meat products come from Morton’s butcher shop, a butcher stand just inside the market.

Once you enjoy any one of the selections they have to choose from, like the homemade chicken pot pie or pork with sauerkraut, you can finish off your meal with one of their sweet treats like peanut butter pie, homemade chocolate cake or raspberry tapioca.

I was pretty full by the end of my entree, but with this selection I had to opt for just one more tasty item. After glancing over my choices I settled on the coconut cream pie and was not disappointed. With a flaky crust, creamy filling, fresh whipped cream and shaved coconut I definitely would have regretted skipping desert. The meal was so enjoyable that before I left  I made sure to order some chili and a side of coleslaw, just in case I needed a late night snack.

So next time you have a craving for Amish-style county food, head over to The Dutch Family Restaurant and enjoy a sit-down meal where the staff is friendly, the food is tasty and dress code is casual.

Click here to see the restaurant's full menu.

Source: Germantown Patch

URL: http://germantown.patch.com/articles/the-dutch-family-restaurant-a-local-must-try

No comments:

Post a Comment