Thursday, June 14, 2012

I am:



By: Katherine Russo

I am a distaste for 40 being the new 20,
Just as much as I am an aversion to 13 being the new 30.

I am reverence for the societal past tense of common sense
 just as much as I am a veneration for the nation that used to stand for something.
I am contemplation.
I am restoration.
I am the syndication of an idea we have long since forgotten.

An Idea:
It is this noun I speak of,
 the four letters that spells speak up
 that pushes to the forefront on my mind the myriad of wasted time that has consumed us.

We have spent so long looking for progress in congress
 that we grew restless and spoke so loudly that no one heard us.
Our ideas lack a mission and instead take note of only individual person’s positions
and in the one man tradition we have lost the point.
The point of standing together,
of pushing for whatever from whomever,
because it is never given to us from birth but it is our right.

It is our right to demand.
It is our right to reprimand our governing body when we so choose.
It is our right to stand up and be counted;
but let us not get so lost in our ideas of progress that we become countless.
Because individual missions will never hold positions of power like individuals who are dedicated to a cause.

So instead:
Lets our missions be counted and our ideas countless.
And focus on the content of our struggle with you unity that resides outside of you and me,
because you and me are just the WHO.
The WHO that means nothing in relation to the WHAT.

So for the entirety of my mentality that is what I will strive to be:
No longer a WHO but a WHAT
And what that what is: IS AN IDEA.
Because very simply put; Ideas never die.

No comments:

Post a Comment