Monday, July 16, 2012

Amherst Shore, Nova Scotia


Amherst Shore Provincial Park in Amherst Shores, Nova Scotia is by far the best places that I have ever camped at. The park offers 42 sites nestled in the woods, plenty of places to hike, showers, bathrooms, firewood and ice for purchase, and internet access upon request. Add to that the immensely friendly staff, beautiful star gazing, and surrounding scenic drives and this is a place I can say with absolute certainty that I will be seeing again someday. 

In short, Amherst Shore Provincial Park has everything you could possibly need and a few things that you will not likely find anywhere else. What is the rarity that I am referring to? That would be none other than the Northumberland Strait. 

A five minute trail walk from your campsite will lead you to this beautiful unsupervised beach which boasts the warmest water north of the Carolina’s and is home to the most breath taking low tide.  Now you might be thinking, “Wow, a low tided how absolutely boring,” but imagine walking out to a full body of water and then, within a matter of hours, the water recedes more than a half a mile leaving an endless number of  tide pools and clay as far as the eye can see. 


When I first arrived and took a walk out to the water I felt immediately relaxed. Not a soul in site and with miles of gorgeous coastline it was a fantastic place for a picnic, beach walk, and swim. Hour later I enjoyed the most shocking contrast in landscape I have ever seen. It was the perfect way to start my Nova Scotia adventure. 



Interested in visiting, head to: http://www.novascotiaparks.ca/parks/amherst.asp.

Happy Travels,
Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment