Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Oh Look the Avatar Tree!


Rainbow Falls, located in Hilo, Hawaii is beautiful, easy to get to, and surrounded by breath taking tropical foliage. 


 My description however stops there because it is not the waterfall at Rainbow Falls that struck me as a “monumental” find, it was the tree located near the top view of the falls (There is only one set of stairs you can take to view the top of the falls). What is crazy to me is that I almost missed it! I raced to the top to get a great view of the waterfall, and as it turned out the view from the top was just okay. I was about to race back down to the lower level, where you really get a great view when I saw, off to the left, an intriguing tangling of roots that seemed to go on and on. I hoped over a few and in front of me stood, as I can best describe it, the Avatar tree. 


More scientifically, thought I still prefer to call it the Avatar tree, it is known as a banyan tree. It is said in the Hindu religion that the God Krishna turned himself into a banyan leaf after consuming the entire universe. It might seem strange to say for someone that is not particularly religious, but there is something “elsewhere” about this tree. I could tell you, but like all things in life it is better if you see it for yourself.  It truly is like nothing I have ever seen. 

Sincerely,
Kath

“I plant a lot of trees. I am a great believer in planting things for future generations. I loathe the now culture where you just live for today.”  -Penelope Keith

No comments:

Post a Comment