Thursday, July 19, 2012

Ode to Oysters


 

The first time I had an out of body food experience was with oysters in Halifax, Nova Scotia. I have heard about other people’s experiences, but had yet to have that “moment”. I distinctly remember Rick Bayless saying on Top Chef Masters that when his happened every synapse in his brain was firing and I wanted that to happen to me. It was Oaxacan black mole for him and I told myself, if it was the last thing that I ever did, I would find my mole. Yes, I had eaten at some of the best restaurants in the world and yes, I had eaten some pretty amazing food, but in the way he described it I knew that I had not had my “moment”. Then, one day, in Halifax, Nova Scotia it happened. 

 

It was a plain oyster, nothing on it, straight from the water in an area known for its phenomenal seafood. I expected it to be good, but I had no idea how good. The second it hit my mouth I felt goose bumps on the top of my head and it felt like my skull had reshaped itself into a literal cone on top of my head. It was so simple, so clean, and it happened so unexpectedly. I no longer had to search for my mole; I had found my oyster.  

 

Hope you find your oyster,

Kath 



No comments:

Post a Comment