Thursday, July 12, 2012

I Think I like This Tourist Trap...Mostly


Cancun, Mexico:
I am very certain that you have either been there, had a friend who went there, or woke up in a tee-shirt that was not your own from the famed Senor Frogs, which is a favorite place there. My point is; if you are a living, breathing human being you have heard of the place, and if you at one point went on a “Spring Break” chances are it was there. 

The resorts are pretty, if you go to the right ones, the food is great, if you eat what the locals eat, and the beaches are basically warm, blue wave pools with white sand. There are some things to note though before booking your flight. First, this is a tourist spot so beware of $15 pottery you think is unique because chances are you will see that very same thing 15 times for 1/10th the price at some point during your trip.

Secondly, this is a tourist spot so you will have a lot of your meals, depending on where you stay (I do actually recommend all-inclusive), paid for as well as your drinks. If you are a 20-something traveler like me this is great! You can get by day to day, eat and drink, enjoy the beach, but most importantly you will have some cash left over to really enjoy and see some sites worth seeing. As always it is best if you do some research before your trip to find something that suits you. I chose a Hacienda with an authentic dinner, wild birds, horses, and a traditional show. 

I also went out to a nice dinner, ate some great mole, had some pretty good margaritas, though Bobby Flay's Mesa Grill still takes the top spot for best margarita of all-time, and enjoyed amazing relaxing scenery that was a fraction of what I have paid for some of my other trips.

So, if you are looking to “Take a load off Annie,”and still have money to do a load of laundry when you get back, I suggest Cancun, Mexico. Tourist trap; yes, but at least it’s fun!

Adios,
Kath 

No comments:

Post a Comment